Friday, March 18, 2011

My Mentor

Every kid needs a mentor. Everybody needs a mentor. - Donovan Bailey

I have been so fortunate that my program of study included a mentor teacher for my first two years of teaching. My mentor happens to be one of my former undergrad professors. I would not have made it through my first year of teaching without her. Seriously.

My mentor taught in an urban school for at least 10 years before moving to the university level. I believe I only had her for two classes, but that was enough. She has simplified the process of education and pedagogy. It amazes me how complicated I make things. I am constantly floored at how easy she makes it.

I have relied on her to help me in the areas where my college education was deficient. Apparently, it's quite a few areas. Most of our conversations include her saying that she cannot believe I did not know anything about a particular strategy or guide.

She has seen me at my absolute worst and still praised me for something that I do well. She has given me strategies that actually work.

She is priceless.

I have the pleasure of writing a letter of recommendation for her as she looks into a different position in the education field.

I am going to truly miss not having her pop into my classroom and check out what is going on. I am infinitely better because of her.


No comments:

Post a Comment